Should We Allow Legal Public Drinking?

Should We Allow Legal Public Drinking?

As of June 22nd some of North Vancouver parks are allowing legal drinking in 9 public spaces. The City of North Vancouver council approved the bylaw, allowing alcohol in some parks as a response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

This allows people to come together to socialize in outdoor spaces safely, while still allowing for social distancing. According to the council, "This bylaw is about creating space outdoors for residents to socialize in a way that respects physical distancing. By allowing people to gather in our parks we're supporting their well-being, as well as supporting local restaurants and breweries."  The hours of legal drinking in these 9 parks are from 11am to 9pm and will be allowed until October 15th, 2020.

In many countries around the world drinking in public has been legal for a long time.

The question now is, should this type of bylaw be brought into some public spaces on the Sunshine Coast? There is already illegal drinking on many of our public beaches, so maybe it’s time we have specific areas where alcohol can be consumed. That way we know where it's ok to go to partake in an alcoholic beverage or which areas to avoid if we don’t. 

Just something to think about.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.